Wednesday 6 October 2010

Sandringham to Norwich via Horning

It was moving on day today as we were leaving Sandringham behind and making for the Norwich site that we always use. The weather was pretty awful as the rain hammered down and we also got stuck in roadworks to add to the problem. We decided to call at Horning on the way as I had a printout from the 1911 census for a family of relatives who lived and worked there. We parked in the car park which overlooked the river where the Southern Comfort was just leaving for a trip …

and then went for a walk through the village. I went into the Post Office to ask if the name of the house meant anything as I’d been unable to find it on the internet and the Postmaster said he didn’t know of it. I knew that a family of Southgates lived in a pretty cottage …

and he told me that the 95 year old owner had recently died but that the house had been purchased by his father and it was then three cottages which he had made into one. I thanked him for his help and when we began to think about names we suddenly realised that this was most probably the place I was looking for. The cottage is now called The Brambles and I was looking for Briar Cottage! Result! When back by the river I had a look for the webcam on Horning Sailing Club. This is a website that I regularly check on to get my fix of the Broads when I’m in Cornwall! You can spot the webcam just above the word ‘Club’ …

It was very quiet on the river today …

We then made tracks for the site and set ourselves up for a couple of nights.

No comments: